Annigoni donated a self portrait to Chelsea Old Church, so what is the connection between Annigoni, an Italian artist, and the Church?
A long queue waited the opening of the Summer Fair at Chenil Galleries in aid of Chelsea Old Church building appeal. The Mayor and Mayoress of Chelsea opened the Fair, “the parishes of England are the cradles of its greatness” declared the Mayoress.
Pietro Annigoni, James Bateman, Stanley Grimm, Harold Workman and Anthony Devas were among artists whose work was on sale.
From 1950 Annigoni had a studio in the Pheasantry at 152 King’s Road, originally built in 18thcentury where new breeds of oriental pheasants, cattle and foxes were bred. Then silks, upholstery and dolls house furniture. Then in 1916 part of the building was a ballet academy run by the dance teacher Serafina Astafieva, great niece of Leo Tolstoy, she trained Alicia Markova who came to Diaghilev’s attention when he visited in 1921. Margot Fonteyn also trained there. After 1932 it became a restaurant and bar frequented by the likes of Augustus John, Dylan Thomas, Humphrey Bogart and Francis Bacon. Eric Clapton, Germaine Greer lived there, the building hosted early gigs by Lou Reed, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Sparks and Hawkwind. John Betjeman lead a campaign to prevent the redevelopment of the site.
In 1963 Oliver Reed was shooting on location in Chelsea and Annigoni was inspired to do a portrait of the rising star. He also produced two portraits of Queen Elizabeth II in 1956 and 1969.
So he lived in Chelsea and mixed with celebrities but connection not clear, but what happened to the self-portrait?